Friday, July 9, 2010

Crossroads

It rained today, and the scorching heat has finally lifted just a little bit. My husband had the day off today, and he drove me to an interview this morning.

I am at a crossroads in my career, and am feeling very confused as of where to go from here. For the past couple of years, I have been working for a wonderful charity that supports people with eating disorders. It is a rewarding and fulfilling job, and I never felt like my time was wasted. And trust me, I have wasted a lot of time in other jobs!

Unfortunately, the charity is so small, and cannot afford to offer me a raise. I get a tiny salary as it is. This was all fine and good while my husband and I were dating and living together in an apartment. But we are now married, with a 10-month old child, and a new mortgage to pay.

I am supposed to be returning to work in 2 months, and in a moment of panic, I began sending out resumes to some of my contacts. Lo and behold, I got a call from a health research organization to come in for an interview today. It went super well, and it looks like they might be able to offer me a part-time job that would pay me the same as what I would be making working full-time at my current job.

What to do?? Do I bow out of the meaningful work, where I know I truly make a difference, to take a job that MAY make a difference in the long run (I am confident that a lot of research being done in the health field is interesting, but rarely applied) and that pays a heck of a lot more.

I shall ponder this question, and listen to this version of "Crossroads" by Cream:

I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knee.
I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knee.
Asked the Lord above for mercy, "Save me if you please."

I went down to the crossroads, tried to flag a ride.
Down to the crossroads, tried to flag a ride.
Nobody seemed to know me, everybody passed by.

I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
You can still 'barrelhouse', baby, on the riverside.

Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
You can still 'barrelhouse', baby, on the riverside.

You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown.
You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown.
And I'm standing at the crossroads, believe I'm sinking down.

2 comments:

  1. Listen to your gut. Really listen. You already know what to do, but your brain is sending all kinds of messages to you...but your heart and gut know what is best. Just try to find a quiet hour with no distractions and the answer will be clear. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I gave you a blog award over at the KGH...I love the simplicity and honesty of your blog...and I want others to discover it, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!