Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Littlest Bird

I was sitting down on my living room couch the other night reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child, when I heard a loud smack against the window. I went outside to investigate, and found a tiny bird taking its last breath on the garden below the windowsill. I gently picked him up. He was still so warm, and I instantly felt a deep sadness for the poor little guy. Who decided to put a big window there anyway??

I brought him over to my husband, who was cutting the lawn, big fat tears rolling down my cheeks. "He's dead!" I blubbered. Tom looked at me with a mixture of amusement and sympathy on his face. He's used to this kind of behaviour with me when it comes to any living creature (except earwigs...I hate those things). Tom kindly offered to bury the bird in the backyard.

I've always been so emotional when it comes to animals, birds, reptiles, you name it. I was the kid that spent the whole time in the pool scooping out ants and bugs and yelling "you're saved, little bug!!" One time driving along a two-lane highway up north, I spotted a huge turtle attempting to cross the road. Big transport trucks were driving right over him, and he'd duck his little head into his shell, and then attempt to soldier on. I screamed at my husband to pull over, and looking both ways, I ran over to the turtle, picked him up and carried him across the road.

I'm not naive enough to think that I can "save" every creature who might be in trouble, but I certainly try. Could it be that I want to help them because I perceive them to be innocent? Because they can't talk or communicate with us? Because we humans have encroached so much on their way of life that I feel bad about that?

I don't really have the answers, and to be honest, I'm sometimes embarrased by my strong reactions. My mother could never understand why I'd sob through a movie where an animal had perished, but could watch the most vicious scene of human violence without batting an eye. She took this to mean that I care more about animals than humans, but I don't think that's true. At least I certainly hope not, because I know I love my husband and daughter more than anything.

So in tribute to that little bird, and to all creatures great and small, this is "The Littlest Bird Sings the Prettiest Song" by the Be Good Tanyas:

Well, I feel like an old hobo
I'm sad, lonesome and blue
I was fair as a summer's day
Now the summer days are through
You pass through places
And places pass through you
But you carry them with you
On the soles of your travelling shoes

Well, I love you so dearly
I love you so clearly
I wake you up in the morning
So early just to tell you
I got the wandering blues
I got the wandering blues
And I'm going to quit
These rambling ways one of these days soon

And I sing
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
And the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs

Well it's times like these I feel so small
And wild like the rambling footsteps
Of a wandering child
And I'm lonesome as a lonesome whippoorwill
Singing these blues with a warble and a trill
But I'm not too blue to fly
No I'm not too blue to fly

'Cause the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
And the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs

But I love you so dearly
I love you so fearlessly
I wake you up in the morning so early
Just to tell you
I've got the wandering blues
I've got the wandering blues
And I don't want to leave you
I love you through and through

Well I left my baby on a pretty blue train
And I sang my songs to the cold and the rain
And I had the wandering blues
And I sang those wandering blues
And I'm gonna quit these rambling ways one of these days soon

And I sing
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs

Well I don't care if the sun don't shine
And I don't care if nothing is mine
And I don't care if I'm nervous with you
I'll do my loving in the wintertime.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I feel that I could have written your posts (not to flatter myself or detract from YOU!)...it's just that we seem so similar. I too rescued every bald baby bird, limp baby mouse, and gnarly eared cat that I came across, and cried when animals died in movies (I still cry EVERY TIME I watch the movie "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron")...got goosebumps while singing this song (it is a terrific lullaby, because of the repetition in the chorus)...
    Have been reading your posts...time is limited for commenting some days...love your blog and happy to be part of your exclusive followers! haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!