Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dear Santa: My Letter to the Big Guy

Dearest Santa Claus,

When I was 12, I asked you to bring me an Ouija Board....and you did. Thank you for all of those terrifying nights spent with my girlfriends, contacting the dearly departed and causing the heads to break off of our parent's cherub angel figurine.

When I was 14, I asked you to bring me Blue Rodeo's Five Days in July CD....and you did. Thank you for allowing me to hear the most beautiful song in the world - Dark Angel. To this day, whenever I am sad, I only need to listen to this song to be lifted up (listen here).

When I was 24, I asked you to help me through a difficult time...and you did. 25 came, and I conquered my fears and moved on with my life.

When I was 28, I asked you to give me strength, and help me know how to raise a child we hadn't planned for. And you did...our little girl seems so grown up this Christmas, and we're feeling like proud parents who finally know what they're doing (sort of).

This year I'm 31. Life seems somehow more hectic and more stable, all at once. So what do I want for Christmas this year?

I've realized that wishing for world peace won't make it happen. I've realized that wishing for the Canadian Government to honour our Kyoto commitments won't happen. I've realized that wishing for our healthcare system to catch up to the research is going to take some time. And I've realized that I can't save everybody - that there will always be suffering in the world.

So I'm asking for something really simple this year. It's not too hard...a little moisture in the air. A temperature below 0 degrees Celsius....and a BIG, HUGE DUMP OF SNOW. I'm talking like 50cm. Preferably before Christmas Eve day; before my family travels all this way to visit us.

That's all I want for Christmas this year Santa Claus....can you help me?

Love,
Misty

2 comments:

  1. *Shelly*
    Love it, I've got trans Siberian orchestra on and trying to make cookies. I'm hoping it makes up for the lack of snow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you're not working this Christmas because everyone knows what happens in a snowstorm. My daughter came into the world on a day that the doctor could not get her car out of the driveway, there were dozens of cm of snow falling all around!

    I also love that Blue Rodeo CD. The day I left my grandmother's hospital bed for the last time, I sang her 'Tell Me Your Dream'. It has a very powerful memory for me. I had the opportunity to say goodbye to my other grandmother last summer and decided to sing the song again. It was so fitting. Like I got to send her into a new life.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!